Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Well,It threw a P1A92 code.Dealer charged me $105.00

Customer Question

Well,It threw a P1A92 code.Dealer charged me $105.00 "diagnostic fee" to say it needs a generator.GM part# ***** is $1,200.00. total job $1996.00. Help! Any thoughts? Mine is a 2007 green line. I can get the part for $975.00 and get a mechanic to put it in for alot less than $500.00 the dealer wants.Do you agree with the code diagnosis.Car only as 103,000 miles,but I really don't want to spend that kind of money.
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: Yes
JA: Are you fixing your MiniE yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My neighbor is ASE mechanic. Code P1A92 was not in his manual.The only other thing tried was the dealer "opinion.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Eric replied 4 months ago.

HI,

Ok, if it is inot in your neighbor's manual, he must not have a hybrid specific manual as it is a legitimate code

2007 Saturn Truck VUE FWD L4-2.4L Hybrid

Save Article

DTC P1A91 or P1A92 Diagnostic Instructions * Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure. See: Vehicle > Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview * Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach. * Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category. DTC Descriptors DTC P1A91 - 14 Volt Power Module Temperature Sensor Circuit Low Voltage DTC P1A92 - 14 Volt Power Module Temperature Sensor Circuit High Voltage

I have also attached it so you can verify that the above copy and paste is legitimate

I have worked on many of these hybrids and in each case, this code has been due to a faulty generator, so I have no doubt that yours is in need of it being replaced.

My only advice in making a decision to have an independent tech do this job is to make sure they understand the dynamics involved in this replacement as he will be working on a 144v system. A mistake when working on this system can not only result in further parts failing, but can in fact cause fatal electrocution of the tech if he does not use the required grounding glove while working on the vehicle.

But again, the dealer has made the correct diagnosis on your hybrid

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating