Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

I have a 2007 Saturn Sky Redline with 27K miles. Car is in

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Saturn Sky Redline with 27K miles. Car is in mint shape. It has had an intermittent issue where on start, I get full power to everything - but no crank at all, not even a "click". I replaced the ignition switch myself, but still have the problem. 10, 20, 30 turns of the key, and it starts right up. Unless it doesn't then it could be 100 turns. Sometimes when it does start to crank it will suddenly die mid crank, and then be right back to no crank. Until it does start up. And then no issue for a month or two. Or an hour later it's not starting. The security light does not stay on like the Ion issues I have found on line. I have two sets of keys, and it does not matter which I use. I thought it was worse in the winter - but it just started again and it's 90+ degrees. I have looked everywhere online and can't find this issue with the SKY anywhere. I'm at a loss.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. Replace the starter. This is a common problem on alot of vehicles. Many people will continue to look for other issues because it still starts every once in a while. Replace the starter and be done.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you are saying it's a starter problem? Based on what? These cars are notorious for ignition issues of all types, and almost none come back around to the starter.

I was assuming that the gm ignition switch recall has been done

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It has. But to jump to a $700 repair without looking any deeper seemed to be a big jump. Just found a YouTube video for a 2007 Solstice with the "exact" same symptoms - and it's was a loose battery ground to the block - because the starter and the rest of the car uses different ground cables. So... seems a bit quick to jump to your answer.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also a bad solder in one of the boards can do it - found that for the Sky too. Again - seems a little quick on the draw to me.

Im going by my experience which is over 30 years. I have to assume that someone who knows anything about cars already has checked loose connections.

I have a high success rate on here and in my shop, believe me im not one to throw parts at cars unless i know what the problem is.

good luck. i will opt out and let someone else assist you.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Do you have a check engine light on when it wont start? Is the ignition switch hard to turn at times?

Do you have any test equipment you can do some tests when it doesn't start? Test light, Volt Meter, Scan tool?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello. This is my first time using the service, and your response is exactly the kind I was hoping for, so thank you. And I also recognize that in the end we may not be able to figure it out, electrical issues often being the most difficult to diagnose. That is why I gave up and came here - I knew it was past my skill set - so if you are willing to help guide me, I will do the work, and if we don't get it - I got no problem hitting the "I'm satisfied" button - or whatever it is that insures you get compensated for your efforts. As for me, my auto knowledge is fairly decent. I've replaced belts, starters and alternators etc, changed my own oil and even done a couple of brake jobs, but that's really it - and mostly in my younger days out of necessity. But if you can point my in the right direction I can usually find the details online (i.e. where to plug in the scan tool etc) and get back with you results and next steps. I do have a voltmeter, but not a scan tool, although I think I saw that I can rent one at the local parts store, so I will look into that today.Unfortunately I am out of town this weekend and wont be able to start work on it until Monday evening. But if you can tell me what to gather in advance, or if you would like me to send a more detailed account of the issue, or ask questions, I can do all of that between now and then. And sincerely, ***** ***** again for the help. ~Skip G.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
To answer some of you questions: The ignition is never hard to turn. I replace the ignition switch (just the switch) hoping that was the issue, no change. The car has full power to everything, and everything acts the same as always, all the lights come on, the air kicks in, several clicks under the hood as things receive the current, but when you turn the key the last point to ignition, nothing happens - at all. The dash lights at that point have all gone out (including the security light) but the starter does not engage. Now the next turn of the key may result in normal ignition. I have gone a month with no issue, but once the issue starts it gets worse, requiring more turns of the key to finally start. Until it finally just doesn't. Which is where I am now again.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

Find a walmart or harbor freight. They sell a code readers for under $50. this will help with some direction. I would recommend an inexpensive volt meter and a test light

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Got it and will do that this weekend. Also, about the car, it has $27K miles (not bad for 2007) and has been pretty babied. Living in North Carolina we don't really salt the roads often so under the hood there is no corrosion of any kind. It looks almost like new. Thanks again!
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

some inexpensive tools can go a long way in doing own repairs later and can also assist when you contact us to give good information.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I have not heard from you in a few days. Do you still need assistance? I also noticed you haven't left a rating. I have assisted in good faith and am only compensated when you leave a positive rating. Please let me know if there is anything else you need to leave a positive rating. Conversations can always continue after a rating is received.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry, at Walmart getting diagnostic tool now. Will email soon.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

ok