FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

I am having an awful time trying to find a tensioner pulley

Customer Question

I am having an awful time trying to find a tensioner pulley assembly (serpentine belt) for my '96 Saturn SL1?!! I live in Portland, OR & have been to OReilly's & to Baxter's but they say you have to special order & we're not finding the right part. I have a pic of the 1 that came off of my car if needed.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you upload the picture to me just so I can confirm that we are talking about the same part?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will try but I'm hitting the add files but it's not seeming to accept. It may have something to do w/my settings?! Should I just call u & explain?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hoping u will receive? The old part was made in Canada. The 1 I had got from Baxter's was wrong & it was the Gates part #38112 Belt tensioner Assembly
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 months ago.

I goth them. Give me a minute.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will you send me a text when u have it figured out?! Please ?!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh I think anther part # was 45888. I think!
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 months ago.

Do you have an Autozone close? This should be part number 305240.

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 months ago.

What was wrong with the gates part? Were the mounting holes wrong? Also, can you give me the production date and the VIN number from the car?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do believe there is an Autozone. I'll write down the part #. The vin # is: 1G8ZG5282TZ133016
Where would the production date be? On the title?? My friend has been working on it so I'm not sure what was wrong but I will try calling to ask him. I think it was just a bit off or something about smoothness. Not sure why.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 months ago.

If you can find out that would be great. The best part for this would be a NAPA #NOE(###) ###-####

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 months ago.

This NAPA part is a direct cross reference to your part. #NBH 38112

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Who makes the 1st part #305240? Is that not right then? The Napa # NOE(###) ###-####is the right one? At 1 point I thought it was the Gates Drive Align Tensioner Assembly .. I think but my friend said it isn't.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if I look under parts from Napa there will be a picture of this part #?!(###) ###-####
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 months ago.

Yes they are on the NAPA site and any other parts store should be able to cross reference it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well I will see what I can see on-line here but I won't really know if it's the right 1 til tomorrow! Well .. I hope to find out.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I looked on-line & unfortunately that's not it!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It doesn't have those like slots, lines things. It's just smooth. The 1 that came off my car is.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 months ago.

The new style does not need those slots. Did you check out the one from NAPA? All that it needs to do is have the mounting holes line up.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am waiting to hear from my friend, "the backyard mechanic" to get back to me about the part so I don't know if u r right or not?! I am about ready to have it towed to a shop here in Portland that specializes in Saturns. I will let u know soon about whether or not that part from Napa will work!
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know. If it has the factory engine in it then these should work as there are not different models of this engine with different tensioners. I have seen plenty of guys try installing these the wrong way causing them to think that the part is wrong.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh wow! In fact I was just in the process of texting him! I figured since he took the part off he'd know how to put 1 back in! Is there some trick or something I could possibly tell him to help?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 months ago.

There really is not any trick other than making sure it is not upside down. Also, with the old one off it is easy to match it to the new one. If the diameter is close and if the bolt holes are the same distance apart it should fit.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well thank u Bobby & I will be taking the old part right down to OReilly's tomorrow & checking it to their part # 38112 the 1 he said was wrong& do what u said & we will see!!
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 months ago.

Sounds good. If there are further problems please let me know. If possible, if the part is wrong try and describe the difference so that I can see if there is a different motor in the car. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I finally heard back from my friend & he said that the bolts did line up that it was the tension?!
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 months ago.

If the bolts line up and the tensoner pulley does not line up then there is an issue with the mounting. He needs to make sure he is not trying to mount it upside down.