Chris (aka- Moose), Saturn Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

On the way to the store it started shifting from first to

Customer Question

On the way to the store it started shifting from first to second, hard thump between gears, down shift with a hard thump. Check fluid level was low. Added a quart of fluid and now at correct level. Now shift with a thump into reverse. When around the block and it still doing all of the above. Help....
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: It just started. The whole car shakes when I shift it to reverse, it does do it when I shift to drive, but thumps for 1st to second and when I down shifts while slowing down. Reverse its really thumps hard
JA: What is the model/year of your Saturn?
Customer: 2002 4dr S series
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just added transmission fluid about a quart.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it has 101200 miles on it. During cold weather it would shift ruff from 1st to second. but now like it doing now
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.working after noon till just after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • Yes, you have been charged already.
  • Yes, I am aware of the time you asked your question and time I am responding.
  • I will be online a couple more hours after this post.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Its looks like the motor mounts are the problem. This model has four, 2 dog bone, 1 upper, located psgr side and transmissom mount on drivers side. Order parts.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would you agree with this. I raise the front off the ground and started it. Had my son shift from park to reverse. The entire motor moved with a hard thump sound not as bad when placed in drive

I would agree that there are engine or trans mounts/roll restrictors faulty. You can do as you have already done while watching each and brake torque the engine in drive and reverse while watching the mounts for excessive movement to see which are bad.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris