Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

I got a code p2101 and i was wondering what parts could

Customer Question

I got a code p2101 and i was wondering what parts could cause this code
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: p2101 and yes but it came back and the car doesnt stay running either
JA: What is the model/year of your Saturn?
Customer: 2003 Saturn L300 3.0 Engine
JA: Are you fixing your L300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i am and so far i have taken the throttle body off and i have another one from the junkyard but i havent put it on yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the car starts but runs really rough and evenually stalls. pressing the gas pedal gets little response from the engine
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** code sets when the difference between the calculated and the actual throttle position is more than a predetermined value. This would either be caused by throttle body or ECM. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the ecm is the cars computer right?? If so, that has been replaced by the dealer
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
would this cause the symptoms that i stated earilier? hard starting and stalling?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Im just trying to get an understanding of what to look for should the new throttle body install not solve my problem. Also trying to get a clear understanding of what symptoms would be caused due to a malfunctioning throttle body. I took off the air filter and i had someone start the car and press the gas but the throttle plate didnt move at all.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Yes the ECM is the computer. If that has been replaced then problem is either throttle body assembly or wiring but if it was wiring then you would most likely be getting other codes. Let me know how replacement goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did get other codes as well, P0036 Bank 1 Sensor 2 and U2106. The sensor codes could possibly be because the muffler is cut off because i had to drop the tank to install a fuel tank. I did check all the wires and all contacts are clean and i didnt see any visible breaks in the wires. I also used a volt meter to test the connector for voltage and when the key is in the on position i get 5volts on the wires where its supposed to.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

P0036 could mean a timing problem so I'd recommend a compression test to eliminate that as a possible cause. If compression is under 100 psi on any cylinder you know there is a timing problem. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how do i do a compression test? and there are exhaust leaks due to current exhaust work being done and the muffler is off. Could the throttle body malfunctioning cause these other codes?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

You will need to get a compression tester which goes in the spark plug holes then turn engine over to get a compression reading. The muffler being removed would not effect compression and throttle body would not cause other codes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I researched the code U2106 and it says it means no communication with transmission control module. What does this mean and could the throttle body cause this issue? Keep in mind that the car starts very roughly and doesnt stay started and gets no response from pressing the gas.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

U2106 usually means the transmission control module has failed but still shouldn't cause it to run rough. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.