john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech 15 + years foreign domestic & european
6149662

Saturn sc2 2002 with 35000 miles. Last two days has high

Customer Question

Saturn sc2 2002 with 35000 miles. Last two days has high whine when accelerating. no whine in reverse, nor in neutral. trans oil pump? or something else? just had everything checked 600 miles ago in November.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 6 months ago.

does it do this if you shift to neutral when it happens?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Write your reply here... the whine stops when I shift to neutral

Thats the sound of a trans pump failing...I would have a tranny shop verify...but rebuild or replace will be likley the fix

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Write your reply here...excellent service. but two guestions: its only 35,000 miles by late 80 he old lady! 3nd question: ball park cost? And shouldn't my mechanic foresaw this will he did 600$ check over and minor replacing in November, 600 miles ago?

you cant see inside the unit...it is early failure but it is a 2002 sometimes lack of use does more harm then good and usually 15 to 1800 dollars...but i would have a trans shop confirm the noise

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK. Thanks John. Excellent Service.

thank you hope you can click the 5 star rating to close up the question...best of luck