Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  17 years Saturn Technician experience.
14928985

The driver's and passenger side doors won't open, yes, 2007

Customer Question

The driver's and passenger side doors won't open
JA: Is it your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Saturn?
Customer: 2007 Vue Manual
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything. I went to try to disconnect the battery but I didn't have a wrench
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It was both doors at the same time
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.I apologize for any delay.

Are they not opening from the inside and outside of the vehicle with this issue here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was trapped inside and I had to climb out through the back door
yes it both outside and inside.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Its like the doors don't unlock
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it didn't even work with the key
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Does it sound like they are trying to lock and unlock when you try the lock buttons?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The locks actually move
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Are they moving to the unlock position all the way to unlock the doors and is this all doors acting up like this here?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They are moving to the unlock position with the key and the remote and by hitting the button on the door
only the front doors don't open the back and the trunk work
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

O.k.,looking at the info on how this system works on this model here this sounds like you have an internal electrical fault with the BCM itself.Body control module,this controls the lock and unlock signals and has some seperate signals for unlocking the front doors.It sounds like the fault is in the BCM and this is a common component that can fail on this model needing replaced.

I would have the BCM checked/tested to see if for sure it needs replaced.You will need to have the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set using a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers.When the BCM is replaced it has to be done with a new one as a used one cannot be reprogrammed to a different model and it has to be programmed to your vehicle after it is installed.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.A 5 star rating is appreciated.Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just had a repair done on the AC would that have anything to do with it?
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Can you tell me what was repaired?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There was a hose that needed to be replaced but it wasn't the normal one it was a part that has been discontinued so they said.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it was metal, I think
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But since then I have had trouble with the power steering when I first start it up.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

O.k.,I dont think replacing this ac line would have caused this issue here but it is possible they lost some power steering fluid when they replaced the ac line causing the power steering issue as well now.

I still think you may have a fault with the BCM itself and possibly need to have the power steering system bled of air and filled properly to correct the power steering issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do you think that disconnecting the battery and resetting it will help at all?
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

You can try that and it may work but most of the time it wont.If you try this you want to leave it disconnected for about 5 minutes then reconnect it.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The problem is that I live in Baton Rouge and right now most places are under water so I don't know if I can get it in at all or how long it will be until I can get it in. Plus a really need to get to work an home
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Did the vehicle become flooded with water at all?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It sat in the rain I don't think I drove it at all, not even a few feet.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Were the windows down in the rain?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Wait Saturday I drove it but not through a bunch of water, it's when the problem started, but it happened when I did shut the door all the way and locked it. then I came back, got in it and then couldn't get out. I drove around for a bit figuring that the computer needed to reset I eventually got the door to open then tried to close it and it wouldn't latch. Then it wouldn't open at soon as I got it to latch. Now I can't do either. No the windows weren't down. People steal from you here if you do that.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

O.k.,I just wanted to make sure this wasnt a water damage issue internally.

Unfortunately the only way to correct this issue here is to have it tested and the affected component replaced.I do suspect that the BCM is the cause here needing replaced as this is most common.I wish I had better news on this here for you.

Thanks Pete