Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  35 years experience in the automotive and Lt truck repair business, owner Cardoctor LLC Guthrie, OK
36867192

Ignition fuse 11 blows when starting. Don't know correct

Customer Question

Ignition fuse 11 blows when starting.
JA: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?
Customer: Don't know correct amps - one in car is 10 amp.
JA: What is the model of your '10 Saturn?
Customer: It's a 2004 ion coupe.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Just replaced fuse #11 on the engine fuse block - blows when starting.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Car was running fine but suddenly won't start. Battery is fine.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 8 months ago.

The ignition switch lock cylinder needs to be inspected for a short to ground. Please Accept and Rate my answer, if you have any further questions I will answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can we inspect the switch ourselves?

I don' know your skill level or what tools you may have ,if you have never done this ,it is best left to a professional, because there is considerable danger involving the airbag and the potential to get seriously hurt if safety protocols are not followed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How about the ignition control module - could it be bad?

You have to start at the ignition switch which is the source of power to the ignition control module and all other ignition related circuits related to fuse 11

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This model and some other gm cars had an ignition switch recall - we just got this Saturn a month ago and we don't know if the recall was done. How would we find out?

You are correct, call the nearest GM dealer or go online to GM recall.com and enter the VIN # It will tell you if your vehicle is under the recall. Please Accept and Rate my answer, if you have any further questions I will answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. We replaced the ignition control module and it started right up. We located an ignition switch locally in case the ICM was OK - it wasn't. Thanks for the tip on the recall info. Cheers.

Please Accept and Rate my answer, if you have any further questions I will answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.