George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years

I have problem with my 2008 Saturn Aura XE ( Eng power

Customer Question

Hi sir I have problem with my 2008 Saturn Aura XE ( Eng power Reduced ), the AutoZone Diagnostic the cmputer car and he gave me that code P1682 ignition 1 switch circuit 2 So I did not do anything so far and which things I have to buy and take it to the dealer
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be be posting a replay ASAP

Circuit/System Description There are 2 ignition 1 voltage circuits supplied to the engine control module (ECM). The first ignition 1 voltage circuit is provided by the powertrain relay, through a fuse. This ignition 1 voltage circuit supplies power to all the internal ECM circuits associated with the throttle actuator control (TAC) operation. The ignition main printed circuit board relay provides the second ignition 1 voltage circuit to the ECM, through a fuse. This ignition 1 voltage provides power to other internal ECM circuits, except those associated with TAC operation. The ECM continuously monitors the voltage level difference between the 2 circuits. Conditions for Running the DTC * The ignition is in the Unlock/Accessory, Run, or Crank position. * System voltage is more than 5.23 volts. * Powertrain relay is commanded ON. * DTC P1682 runs continuously when the above conditions are met. Conditions for Setting the DTC The ignition 1 voltage of the Run/Crank relay is more than 2 volts different than the ignition 1 voltage of the powertrain relay for more than 2 seconds. Action Taken When the DTC Sets DTC P1682 is a Type A DTC. Engine may operate in a reduced engine power mode.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC DTC P1682 is a Type A DTC. Reference Information Schematic Reference Engine Controls Schematics ( See: Powertrain Management > Electrical) Connector End View Reference Component Connector End Views ( See: Vehicle > Connector Views) Description and Operation Engine Control Module Description ( See: Computers and Control Systems > Components > Engine Control Module Description) Electrical Information Reference * Circuit Testing ( See: Vehicle > Component Tests and General Diagnostics) * Connector Repairs ( See: Vehicle > Component Tests and General Diagnostics) * Wiring Repairs ( See: Vehicle > Component Tests and General

Circuit/System Testing 1. Ignition ON, observe the Ignition 1 Signal and EC Ignition Relay Feedback scan tool parameters to determine which is less than B+. 2. Ignition OFF, remove the relay that corresponds to the scan tool parameter that is less than B+. Important: Six ohms or greater in the circuit/underhood fuse block will cause the DTC to set. 3. Ignition ON, connect a 3A fused jumper wire between B+ and the applicable ignition 1 circuit terminal. Verify that the applicable scan tool parameter displays B+. ◊If the applicable scan tool parameter is less than the specified value, test the ignition 1 circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM. Important: A short to battery voltage on any control circuit may keep the ECM powered up. 4. Ignition OFF, ensure the ECM is powered down. Measure for battery voltage between the relay armature supply circuit and ground. There should be no voltage present. ◊If voltage is present test each control circuit for the components which are supplied by the powertrain relay for a short to B+. 5. If all circuits test normal, test or replace the applicable relay/underhood fuse block.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thats a lot of info, so is there any solution you suggest me to do

1- check all the fuse in the engine compartment box , make sure th ecm fuse is not blown

2- then you need t check the wires from the ignition switch to the ecm for any open or short , you can do a wiggle test while car running and wiggle the wires

3- A capable Saturn scanner or equivalent will be yor best bet, this testing requires certain skills in car electrical to confirm if it the ECM bad or the wiring ?