George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

I have a 2004 saturn ion with over 200,000 mile son it..over

Customer Question

i have a 2004 saturn ion with over 200,000 mile son it..over the years i have had trouble with this crazy pass lock key security built in the ingnition thing..whihc im sure you know about..they say they put these in the ions..and where i have gotten use to every so often i may get in my car and it wont start and i see the lock sign on so what i do is sit and wait about 7 to 9 minutes and then it will start.ive never understood it and really hard to explain to people..and its a pain when its 100 degrees outside like the other day and so i went back into store to stay cool and came out and it cranked..but there has got to be a solution to fixing this i woudl think..my igniton switch has been changed when a few years ago there was this igntion recall..so if you have any tips on this i would appreciate it..next, yesterday i was driving down intersate and my battery light came on for like a breif 2 seconds and never came back on..it did this before about a year ago but my hubby checked the alternator and so forth and didnt see anything wrong..what could that be?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 4 months ago.

Doyou know if they replaced just the switch or the switch and the cylinder?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
not sure it was a recall a few years ago..i can look under gm recalls and see what it says
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ALL I SEE ON THE RECALLS IS SWITCH

can you send me your vin i can probably look it up

OK I found what recalls applied to this vehicle, did you have this problem prior to replacing your ignition switch?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i did..and its all over internet where people ahve had same issues..its been like that for well over 7 years..do you still need my vin
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
just curious too if you seen anything with recalls concerning anyhting with why my battery light came on but didnt stay on

no, your battery light will stay stuck on for an ignition cycle if it had to be jumped or was started with a very low battery, how does your charge gauge read?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
oh i didnt mean aboutt eh ignition thing i meant was there any kind of recalls that pertained to maybe the alternator or anything like that.becasue i also noticed that sometimes my clock gets about 4 mins behind after i reset it..what is a charge gauge
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 months ago.

I have a way for you to get rid of the worry about your pass lock system. Go to this link and see if you would agree with me. http://newrockies.com/ . I can help you install this unit in about 20 minutes. I have used a few to help my customers in my shop and have been very happy with the out come and so have my customers. With this system you will never have to worry about the pass lock again. As for the alt light, There are brushes in the alternator that have to touch the armature for the alternator to work. If dust , dirt, water or oil get into the alternator and get between the brushes and the armature then the light can come on and when the debris comes out the light will go back out. It is also possible that the brushes are wearing out and cannot reach the armature like they should and the alternator may need to be replaced.