vertial technician
vertial technician, A.S.E. Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Over 13 years working on imports and domestic cars

JUST bought A 2001 SL2 and it makes a "clunk" SOUND when

Customer Question

JUST bought A 2001 SL2 and it makes a "clunk" SOUND when putting the automatic transmission into gear, especially into reverse.What do you think? CV JOINT? MOTOR MOUNT [supposedly just replaced]?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission?
Customer: 108000 Don't know about tranny
JA: What is the model of your '01 Saturn?
Customer: SL2
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: NO as far as fixing it myself. Dude, a "friend" of mine, gave it new motor- mount/ mounts. I just bought it today,thought I'd take a chance, didn't sound real terrible and I got a decent price on it.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No leakage, temp. fine, I think it has maybe 1 qt to much tranny fluid,in it... that is, if you are supposed to check it hot and running like I did, no noise or vibration coming from anywhere, also when I punch it there is no noise either everything seems fine once it cruising down the road
Category: Saturn
Expert:  vertial technician replied 2 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So it's most likely not a cv joint. But there are a few possibilities. A defective mount is completely possible. Did he replace all of them? Or just one or some of them?
Also a miss adjusted mount or loose bolt on mount or engine cradle can cause this too.It won't hurt the car to drive it if this is the case. But it's easy to look at.
Best thing to do is have your friend look at it when you put it in reverse with the brake on. And possibly give it a little gas at the same time. Then switch to forward gear and same thing then back to reverse and same thing. That way the noise location can be pinpointed.Let me know if you have any questions.Thanks
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Do you still need help with this problem? Please let me knowIf not would you mind rating my help.Thanks