Chris (aka- Moose), Saturn Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

While driving down the road, it will occassionally die, and

Customer Question

While driving down the road, it will occassionally die, and the security light flashes 4 times. It will then re start and continue on. It is becoming more frequent. I have replaced the crank sensor already
JA: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?
Customer: yes it flashes 3 or 4 times
JA: What is the model/year of your Saturn?
Customer: '03 Vue with 3.0L V6 AWD
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I would like to
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The horn stopped working about the same time as this problem started
Category: Saturn
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not sure if this could be a cause. 1 year ago the local Chevy dealership replaced the ignition switch which was on a Saturn recall for our Vue.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.working after noon till just after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • Yes, you have been charged already.
  • Yes, I am aware of the time you asked your question and time I am responding.
  • I will be online a couple more hours after this post.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not sure why Ive been charged, because no one at all has helped me at all. starting to think this site is a scam
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I drove the Vue 26 miles today, it did the security light flash 3 different times, and when finished flashing 3 times , it automatically re starts and resumes running.

This scenario fits more into the category of a faulty remote start system. A vehicle alone can not restart itself by engaging the starter once it stalls. If the engine is in fact shutting off and restarting on its own all while your in drive then there has to be an aftermarket electronic on the vehicle that is messing up.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No aftermarket or remote start devices of any kind were ever installed on the Vue. If you go to Saturnalia forum sites, many people have experienced this same phenomenon with their 02-03 Vues. No one seems to have an answer yet

I will opt out and see if another can help

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Someone told me to check the ground between the ECM and the engine. I took off all of the grounds, cleaned them and replaced the bolts that hold them. That had no difference. I understand that once the car has been turned on, the BCM and ECM check the security, and then allow the car to start. Once that has happened the BCM is not supposed to do the security check again until the next time the car is turned off and turned on again. AM I correct? If that is correct, then it leads me back to the recall and the ignition switch being changed. Since this was a faulty ignition switch recall, could others have had theirs changed as well, and this be the rooot of the problem? My local GM dealer says no, but would they admit it if it meant another recall for now aging GM cars and trucks? Someone said change the Crank Sensor, I replaced it with a GM oem part. No change, today at 60mph, the security light came on, tach dropped to 0 rpms, the light flashed 3 times. The car slowed to 45mph, and then the engine started after the last flash and resumed back to normal. This could be a very dangerous situation in heavy traffic, especially if for some reason it didn't resume running....just more info to help figure this out.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It has the stock radio, as well, as some have indicated that an aftermarket radio could be a cause?!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have done all the work on the car for years, including the head gasket replacement, timing belt, and all new pully's, water pump, tsat housing, ignition coils and plugs, which are in the valley under the fuel/air plenum. Alternator and battery. I think that about covers under the hood. The car runs excellent! Tons of pep and power, just this stupid security light stall thing.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just trying to give all the info I can.