sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have a 2008 Saturn vue with hydrolic P/S system. No power

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Saturn vue with hydrolic P/S system. No power steering at idle. New pump, rack and flushed out the system including reservoir. Still loss of P/S especially at idle while parking
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: when you 1st start up it seems ok after a few minutes its has no P/s at all at idle in gear
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I already told you the pump and rack are new
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: rack n pump are new and lines & reservoir are clean
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Saturn
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You could have a restriction in the system but odds are you have a bad pump. If a variable assist solenoid was used then the solenoid would be a possible cause for lack of assist at idle but I'm not showing a variable systems was optional. Poor or no assist at idle is almost always caused by low output pressure from the pump.

I've literally seen dozens of bad aftermarket power steering pumps right out of the box and they often cause what you're having. I suspect you have a bad pump, but it would require testing pump output pressure with a gauge to know for sure.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I figured it out before you responded. It's weird that the new pump did the same thing that the old one did though. We put a new one on from the factory and all is good now. Thanks

I'm glad to hear you got it fixed!