rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 02 Saturn SL2. It has an unusual knock in the oil

Customer Question

I have a 02 Saturn SL2. It has an unusual knock in the oil pump area. At idle it will knock about 3 times then pause and do it again. Knock,knock,knock...........knock, knock,knock, like that. I tried to isolate the sound running the engine without the belt, no change, same thing with all excessories off just the crank turning. If you excellorate the engine it turns in to a rattle but not at a steady rate. I pulled the oil sender and put a mechanical gauge on it the pressure is good to maybe high and the fluctuates rapidly. It sounds like it's behind the damper to the right side (looking through the wheel well).
Category: Saturn
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you
today.
Before we get started though, Please understand that I don't know
your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that
I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does NOT replace a
repair shop.
My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for
my time. Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you
didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

That sounds like a bearing knock, and it can be the way you described sue to the amount of turning it see's from the crank shaft in intervals.

thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am a retired tech also ASE certified (well for another year anyway, not recertifying) this is the first Saturn I've ever touched. It does'nt sound like bearing, to me. It's not steady and consistent enough and oil pressure would be lower due to loss of bearing clearance on the bottom end correct?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Nope, the pressure can go unnoticed to change if it's not the that bad yet. Please keep in mind that I can't hear that noise from here.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.