Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

Im driving when I press on the gas the rpm goes up but car

Customer Question

Im driving when I press on the gas the rpm goes up but car speeds up very slow
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: When I start it it struggles at first then with a little press on gas pedal it idles normal
JA: What is the model/year of your Saturn?
Customer: 2005 Saturn relay
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Hoping to fix haven't tried anything yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Ran out of gas last week then the problem started
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

This sounds like alack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

now this may have been brought on by running out of fuel as any dirt collected at the bottom of the tank will get dragged into the pump when the fuel level is very low so a replacement fuel filter may be all thats required

1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you