George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years

Very gh idle speed. I took off the throttle body cleaned it

Customer Question

very high idle speed. I took off the throttle body cleaned it and changed the Idle control solenoid and the throttle position sensor. still running at 3000 rpms
JA: Does the vehicle hesitate during acceleration? Or maybe speed up suddenly when you aren't even hitting the gas?
Customer: hesitates but not speed up
JA: What is the model of your '1000 Saturn?
Customer: 1999 sl1
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: trying to fix it myself. I've taken the throttle body off, cleaned it. and replaced the throttle position sensor and idle air control solenoid.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for that information. What is the throttle position sensor voltage at key on engine off?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
5 volts
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

I am talking about the signal voltage from the TPS back to the computer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Where do I measure it from?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

You can do this right at the TPS sensor with the signal wire back probed key on engine off

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Take the sensor off and leave it plugged in?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Leave it connected.