George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

I have an 2007 saturn sky eng light on code reads p-oo11

Customer Question

I have an 2007 saturn sky eng light on code reads p-oo11 looked up code says cam system timing over advanced. CARS RUNS SAME AS USUAL.No power loss.no misses mpg is only noticable change 26 from 31.Is this serious and can I fix it.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 4 months ago.

1. Test the resistance of the intake Cam Position (CMP) actuator solenoid. It should be 8-12 ohms. Compare to the exhaust solenoid--should be the same.

2. Check the harness for opens, grounds, and shorts to voltage.

3. Check for loose terminals at the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and solenoid.

CAMSHAFT POSITION ACTUATOR SOLENOID VALVE REPLACEMENT (ENGINE CONTROLS AND FUEL - 2.4L)Document ID#(###) ###-####/p>

Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the intake manifold cover. Refer to Intake Manifold Cover Replacement.
  2. Disconnect the intake (1) or exhaust (2) camshaft position actuator solenoid valve electrical connector, as required.

3. Remove the exhaust (1) camshaft position actuator solenoid valve bolt and valve, as required.
  4. Remove the intake (2) camshaft position (CMP) actuator solenoid valve bolt and valve, as required.
  5. Inspect the solenoid valve O-ring seals from damage, replace as necessary.

Installation Procedure

1. Lubricate the solenoid valve O-ring seals with clean engine oil.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice.

2. Install the intake (2) CMP actuator solenoid valve and bolt, as required.

Tighten:

Tighten the bolt to 10 [n-m] (89 lb in).

3. Install the exhaust (1) CMP actuator solenoid valve and bolt, as required.

Tighten:

4. Connect the intake (1) or exhaust (2) camshaft position actuator solenoid valve electrical connector, as required.
  5. Install the intake manifold cover. Refer to Intake Manifold Cover Replacement.

"Portions of materials contained herein have been reprinted with permission of General Motors Corporation, Service and Parts Operations" License Agreement #0410810.

Copyright 2007 - 2012 Service Repair Solutions, Inc.

Both of those solenoids are right there on top of your valve cover, there not real expensive if you just want to replace them honestly 9 out of 10 times that is what is wrong. It is important to remember that for this system to work you have to have full clean oil if your low on oil or dirty fix that first. And as for the running your right it is hard to notice at an idle you could have rough idle, yes you can fix this and yes you need to.

Pull both solenoids, check the resistance with a voltmeter, if that checks take a couple of jumper wires and operate the solenoid with 12 volts you should feel it click and you should see the valve move if not replace that sucker clear your code and beat your chest. I will wait to hear back from you look forward to helping you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Reggie,sorry for the delay in responding,went to chrysler carlisle just got back. Appreciate your expertise on the problem with the sky. Will try what you suggest this coming weekend. I do have a daily driver to use in the mean time. What will happen if the car is driven in the condition it's in? Just curious>Will let you know what I find after testing and replacing. Do you know where I can find a shop manual for this car? Haven't been able to locate one.---------------Rick

That is a good question, your local parts stores have haynes manuals which are usually pretty good. I can provide you alot of information as needed. And as far as driving it honestly you can drive it for a little but it is something you need to fix. If you get to bogged down in the diagnostic just get the solenoids and replace them, they are 9 times out of 10 the problem. So it will be next weekend before you check it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thnx for the response. Yes probably be next weekend before I can get to it. Very busy working around here and at job .Have to work by priority you know. Have other daily driver In the mean time. Tried advance,autozone,and napa,manual not availiable according to them tried the internet but haven't found anything yet.Thought you might have a lead on one? Only get on here once or twice a week reason for slow response time

Its okay i understand, i will be hear when your ready

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Had the chance to check the sky today. Good clean oil and full.Wiring good plugs good pulled sensors,checked resisitance-exhaust jumping from 85 to 165 on my digital meter on exh. sensor. no reading at all on intake sensor as if it's open circuit. will try to locate one or both tonight try to put in tomorrow.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Reggie located intake sensor last sat. and installed. Car was used two days this weekfor over 200mi+. No eng. light car seems slightly more responsive and peppy. Thnx for the diagnostic help. Hope it lasts!!-------------------------------------Rick Martin