david craig
david craig,
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

My 2003 Saturn Vue overheated today and when I checked the

Customer Question

my 2003 Saturn Vue overheated today and when I checked the coolant level hot, it was at the fill line. When I checked it cool, there was barely any fluid in it. It also gave me a battery light and would not start until the motor was cool
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: It started when it cooled down. The battery is only a few months old. Caterpillar
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything. I'm wondering why it would push coolant hot and drain coolant cold. It seem counter intuitive
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  david craig replied 5 months ago.

Hi Im David. I believe you have separate issues with the not starting until cool and the coolant level issue. Is the check engine light on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No check engine light. Only the high temp and low battery. I started the car and looked under the hood only to find nothing but the crankshaft was turning. Serpentine belt? Seized alternator?

broken belt. do you see a belt around all of the pulleys?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do see a belt....around a pulley at the back and bottom of the motor.....but nothing is turning

thats a v6 3.0 correct?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
indeed

ok, try to reach down and grab the belt. it should be routing around all the pulleys, if its broken it will pull right off or be very loose

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well it didn't come off, but it feels very loose (compared to the belts I'm used to on a 1972 Chevy Nova). I can press it down a good 3-4 inches. So these things stretch that much?

no they dont. i am wondering if the tensioner crapped out on you. can you turn all of the pulleys by hand, except the crankshaft?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All except one....toward the front passenger side on the top. It's under a black plastic cover.

so there should be 6 pulleys. which one isnt turning by hand?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
looks like the air conditioning.

ok. you need to get a new compressor unfortunately the pulley froze on you. get a new serpentine belt also. if that belt is that loose, it should easily turn by hand

so the belt wasnt driving the alternator pulley hence the battery light and it wasnt turning the waterpump pulley hence the overheating

let me know if i can be of anymore help....

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you! Not the ideal setup, in my humble opinion. Give me my carburetor and half dozen belts!

i hear ya. the good ole days

Expert:  david craig replied 4 months ago.

Have you replaced the compressor?