George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

2004 saturn ion turns over starts up then shuts down, yes,

Customer Question

2004 saturn ion turns over starts up then shuts down
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: when i changed the sterring wheel thats when the problem started i swithed out the swiches on the ignition swith still no start
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Christopher Trevino replied 11 months ago.

Hello there, my name is*****'d like to help you with this issue. First, if you disconnected the battery to change the steering wheel and assuming all the electrical wiring was properly reinstalled , what usually happens is the ECM has to relearn the idle speed, that"s why it starts up then dies.When you start it up, try to give it a little gas and see if you can keep the car running above 2000 rpm, if so, keep it above 2000 rpm for about 5 minutes then slowly release the gas and see if it idles on its own. Please reply if this helps or anything changes / additional information is needed.