cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Qualified to work on all makes and models

I have a 2007 Saturn Relay and I am hoping you can help me

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Saturn Relay and I am hoping you can help me with some troubleshooting information. It wouldn’t start this morning although I had at least some battery power. It beeped almost as if the alarm system was engaging and something in the engine clicked only once. My fuses are fine.
Also there is a red blinking mystery light to the top left of the power button for the radio. It is flashing red. No one at Saturn has been able to identify what that light is and nothing in the owners manual has ever helped me identify it on my own. It almost never lights up but I’ve noticed it blinking before when I have had other problems
Category: Saturn
Expert:  cardoctor74 replied 3 months ago.

Ok is this the original battery in this vehicle?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No. we replaced the battery within the last couple years
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I also replaced the whole transmission about 2 years ago so now I am committed to keeping this vehicle until the wheels fall off

Ok but how many years ago and was this a battery from the dealer or an auto parts store.This all sounds like dad cells in the battery which is common .There is no check engine light on correct?That red light very well can be from an aftermarket alarm added to the vehicle .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no the light is not an after market alarm. I purchased it used from a Saturn Dealer back in 2007. The battery was replaced within the last 2 years and it was not from a dealer.

Ok do me a favor can you get me a reading off the battery with a meter set to voltage when trying to crank it over I think this is just a battery issue or bad battery terminal.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't know if I have a meter but I will check. Also the headlights started flashing when I tried to reset the anti-theft system

Ok headlights flashing is a tell tale sign of an aftermarket alarm in this vehicle After checking the battery do me a favor check under driver dash left side and see if you see a little black box wired in and stuffed up there if so there is and aftermarket alarm in this car.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'll check but I really don't think there is. I purchased this vehicle from a dealer and it was still under warranty at the time.
You would be surprised worked at the dealer over 20 years and they add them on when new alot of times.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have over 11 volts but was able to jump start it. I haven't shut it off yet

Ok thats telling yo the cells in the battery are bad while its running bring it down to get the battery replaced and this will take care of your issue exactly what I thought the issue was.Glad to help.Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks .Bonuses greatly appreciated.Im here if you evened any further assistance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Because the battery was replaced so recently, I really thought it had something to do with the anti theft system or perhaps something is putting an extra strain on it. I also really wanted to know what that mystery light is. Can I send you a picture of it perhaps?

Yes you can upload it right here .Sorry for the delay .