Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I changed the battery on my son's 2005 Saturn Relay,

Customer Question

I changed the battery on my son's 2005 Saturn Relay, following the correct procedures, and now the blend door actuator is not responsive and the temp control does not work properly. Also the snowflake button stopped working. Air conditioning works.Nice and cool when I tried jumping the relay. I found on the internet procedures for removing the blend door actuator on my vehicle and an uplander,, but none of the videos look anything like what we've got. Now I am reading that we may need new software due to a communication issue between the temperature door actuator and the control head. We are in financial turmoil and have to do most of the repairis ourselves. A Chevy dealer, nearby, said that they would hook up our vehicle to the system for half price and reset the system for us f, but would not gaurantee it would work. I can't seem to find a factory service manual dealing with this issue for a reasonable price. I was hesitant to send this, because I don't think you can help. But, I guess, its worth a try
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: Thanks
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was going to remove the blend door actuator based on videos I found on the internet for a 2005 Uplander, but once inside, it looks nothing like what we have got. It looks so simple in the video. but our system looks so different. It looks like I would have to remove the heater motor, duct work and more. I will if I have to but what a job it would be.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: According to info I have found, a few people have had similar problem after changing a battery or when the battery runs dead.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

It sounds to me like it's something as simple as re-calibrating the blend door actuator rather than replacing it.

Before paying the dealer you might try to get it to recalibrate it self. Sometimes it will work, sometimes it doesn't, but it doesn't cost anything and it certainly won't hurt:

Make sure the HVAC control module is off and the key is off and out of the ignition.

Disconnect both battery cables and then touch and hold them together for about 1 minute.

Reconnect the battery cables like normal.

Turn the key to the on position but don't start it.

If the HVAC module turns on by itself then just leave it alone.

If it doesn't turn on then turn it on and leave it there for about 10 minutes without touching anything.

Then turn the key off.

Then start it like normal and see what it does.

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

I wanted to see if you need any more help with this one.

Please let me know if you do.

Don't forget to rate if you no longer need assistance.