Chris (aka- Moose), Saturn Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I have a 2003 Saturn 2,2 echotec, no start, does crank, only

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Saturn 2,2 echotec, no start, does crank, only receiving spark on two cylinders. Replaced ICM, Crank Sensor and coil pack. Security light does not stay on and I have no codes
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 4 months ago.

Hi there.

Is fuel pressure between 50-60 psi? Are the injectors being pulsed by the onboard computer?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Fuel pressure is at 55 when cranking, plugs are wet with gas when removed. Test for spark with spark tester, receiving spark on two plugs

Assuming fuel is OK, then we might be looking at a spark distribution issue where the coils are being triggered by the ICM, but the spark is not getting to the plugs; or at a spark control issue where one of the coils is not being triggered by the PCM.

I can provide all the technical expertise to do this, but you have to consider the fact that GM designed this system to be diagnosed with a scope and low-amp probe. Without those tools, we would be basically guessing and replacing parts without knowing if that next part we throw at it is going to fix the problem.

So, tell me, my friend, how do we proceed?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i do have a scope but its an hour away, cant we use the old fashion way with a volt meter? Haven't I pretty much covered the basics? The car just stalled while driving and has not started since.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do have a low amp prob as well
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
my power probe 4 is here with me

The low-amp probe is an attachment to the scope that is used to look at amperage instead of voltage.

As it is, I don't think I'll be able to help you with this issue. I'll opt out to see if another expert has something to contribute. Please do not reply until the other expert responds or the site will cycle the request back to me.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Pls Opt-Out. I want a new Expert.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

I see you want a new tech, would you like me to try?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
For sure
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a 2003 Saturn Ion 3 2.2 ecotec that stalled and has failed to restart since. It cranks just fine, replaced the ICM, Crank Sensor, and coil pack. Fuel is at 55lbs from the rail. Tested for spark with a spark tester, receive spark from 2 and 3, at times they all spark, 1-4. Pulled plugs, they are wet. Security light does not remain on. No codes. I was considering in changing the ignition switch. What say you. I do have an OTC scope, which would take a second to download the software on my computer

Since you have addressed the coil and ICM the signal to the ICM would be your likely issue for intermittent spark. The signal comes from the ECM. Will your scope monitor the signals from the ECM, and do you need a wire diagram?

If your confused on what to do now. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If your not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you are pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Im sure it will can you provide a wire diagram, thank you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I had a feeling it could be the ECM, could I possibly go to the Bone Yard and pick up a good used one?

Yes a used one can be used. Here is a diagram.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
INstalled a used ECM security light is now flashing, what is the relearn procedure please
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you're not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris