George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

I have a 2004 Saturn Ion 3. The AC is not blowing cold. It

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Saturn Ion 3. The AC is not blowing cold. It has a charge, the fan is now working since we have replaced the coolant temperature sensor. When the temperature is switched to heat, the heat works, but when put back to cool it blows cooler than the heat, but not cold at all. The temperature gauge is not getting hot during idling, as it was prior to replacing the sensor. We have checked all off the fuses etc. After doing some research we found a site that said it might be a cable that shifts a lever under the dash. We pulled the radio, and while I moved the temperature control from hear to cool, my boyfriend followed the cable up to the lever, and where it is attached to the wheel. That is all moving fine. Any suggestions?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I' m Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I' m reviewing your question now, and I will be post back with your reply ASAP

is the a/c kick in when pressed on ?do we have power to it

is it possible to get a reading on the low side and high side of the a/c system line , this is accomplished by a set of gauges

i m assuming you have manual a/c controls , and you checked cable and doors are moving that is good

i like to know if the a/c is engaging ,if it is , then we look into performance of a/c system ,we can check that by the gauges, in case we low on freon or there is a restriction

if no power then we need to look what activate the a/c compressor and that is number of things

Thank You ***** ( aka -Customer)

ASE Certified Tech

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
when the AC button is pressed the compressor kicks in.I can't get a reading, the only thing I know is that when he tried to add more freon, the head pressure was 480 with a PSI of 70, so he stopped it immediately. But that is with the little adder thing, not anything professional
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Should the fan come on immediately when I turn on the AC? Because it doesn't. It is coming on in relation to the engine temperature.

yes it should is it ?

good to know let me check the wiring diagram and see what controls that and let u know , i need some time to do that if that is okay

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It isn't coming on as soon as you turn on the AC. We checked the relays, fuses, etc. Replaced the coolant sensor. The fan does come on, but it can be a few minutes before the fan comes on after the car is started from a cold engine.Take all of the time that you need. I appreciate the help and advice.

ok great , dont worry we will fix it , you seem you have some skill testing and that will help me

i will let you know

Chad(aka-Customer