Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year as an ASE Tech
7276279

Convertible top latch won't align and close even when top

Customer Question

Convertible top latch won't align and close even when top pins are aligned. Looks like the latch is bent upward a little. Advice?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Saturn has released a service bulletin dealing with the problem you are having with your latch as well as the proper repair. I have enclosed the bulletin in the link below . Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Con%20latch%20JUn%2024.pdf

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ronnie - that's a reasonable answer, however the latch is of heavy duty steel and does not easily bend. I had already tried it. I may need to remove the handle mechanism and via a vise hammer the latch straight and then reposition the handle. Are there instructions for doing its work? Can the handle and latch be replaced if it doesn't work? Thx. Rob
Expert:  Ronnie replied 12 months ago.

If its bent you should be able to straighten it in place just as shown in the service bulletin.