HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Auto Technician
285738

2003 Saturn vue, 3.0 v6, front wheel drive. Replaced BCM,

Customer Question

2003 Saturn vue, 3.0 v6, front wheel drive. Replaced BCM, TCM, ignition key switch. Ran perfect all winter, 3000 plus miles....Now it just randomly stops running, restarts ok, but will stall out again and again. The issue is getting progressively worse. Notice the stalling more when driving up any kind of a incline. Fuel pump(s), crank position sensor, ?????
Category: Saturn
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, yes a fuel pump or crank sensor can cause this type of concern. A diagnostic check for codes with a scan tool should be done to help localize the issue, If its setting lean codes, Id suspect a possible fuel pump. A fuel pressure test with a gauge would need to be done to see if it is dropping off fuel pressure when the problem occurs. A crank sensor may or may not set a code. If it restarts and runs ok it my be an issue with a mass airflow sensor. Check for codes first, see if anything leads to a possible issue.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No codes came up on my scan tool. I can disconnect the MAF sensor electrical connector from the sensor and the car continues to run. Is this an indication the MAF sensor is bad?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Yes it is a way to test and see if the vehicle has better performance by disconnecting it, puts vehicle in a default stratgey. No codes is good. lean codes would indicate an issue with a vacuum leak or fuel pump (MAF sensor also). Inspect the MAF sensor for any debris inside the sensor wire like a bug or piece of paper from the air filter. If something is on the sensor wire it will cause different drivability issues.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Installed new MAF sensor today. Will drive a couple of days to see if the issue is resolved
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Very good, let me know how it turns out. If you need more help let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
MAF sensor made no difference. Changed both fuel pumps. Now neither fuel pump wil work. Checked fuse, good. Swapped wiper relay and with fuel pump relay, still no fuel pressure. Any ideas???
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Still no codes? No security system codes in the body control module?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No codes, just checked. Fuel gauge reads empty, put 10 gallons of fuel in it. Wiring harness on tank? Should I be able to read voltage at the relay?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Was the BCM programmed when replaced? WHat lead you to replace all these parts?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The car would randomly shut off. Had the bcm checked and it was bad. Bought one from GM, installed, then had GM garage load software. Car ran great for 3000 miles (through winter in PA). Vehicle started randomly shutting off again in late spring, local mechanic suggested changing the TCM. Started changing parts as a trip to GM is typically $300-$400.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Well at this point this is what I would recommend since you are hanging parts with unsure results, the scan tool you are using may not be giving you all the information to find the root cause. If it ran before with the old fuel pumps and now not at all, might be an issue with the wiring to the fuel pumps.