George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

Thanks. I have two codes. I have a p0326 and 1599. The

Customer Question

Thanks. I have two codes. I have a p0326 and 1599. The mechanic is guessing that it is the PCM, but if I buy a remanned one and it isn't it, I'm out $400. that's not a good "guess" to me :)
JA: Have you scanned the code? Have you tried to reset it?
Customer: Yes. The mechanic did. They even had a GM guy come by to "update" the pcm and it wouldn't take it. Before they did that, I didn't get a check engine light. Now it won't go off
JA: What is the model/year of your Saturn?
Customer: 2001 SL1
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Mechanic.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No, he has it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  George H. replied 5 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

So if you clear the codes with a scantool the light does not go out if you just turn the key to the on position? Same for disconnecting the negative cable from the battery?

The codes are for a stall while the key is in the run position (P1599) and an active knock sensor signal (P0326). Nothing to do with the computer here.

Has the engine stalled?

Does the engine knock?

Let me know how the vehicle runs so I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It bogged down when I went to get on the interstate. Couldn't get it up above 30. I slowed down. Put it in neutral to let it calm down. It almost stalled, then it seemed ok. I was able to drive it to the mechanic. He thinks it is the PCM and tried to "reprogram" it with the assistance of GM. That failed. He told me it is a newer reprogram by GM so it may not reprogram an old part. The risk is that if I buy a remanned one, then if he is wrong it is $400.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Because of their attempt at reprogramming my check engine light stays on whereas before it didn't do that when I first drove it in.

It could be the computer, if you get the same part number through car-part.com it will be much less than getting a new one or a reman. That is the route I would go.

If it will rev up without bogging down I don't suspect it is a melted converter but if you can't do that I would start by disconnecting the exhaust to see if it will run normally then. It is troubling that the light is on all the time now, you should be able to clar the code but if the reprogramming effort resulted in a "bricked" computer then I would be asking the shop to step up for some of the cost.

Used is the way to go here until you find out what the root problem is but the codes have nothing to do with the problem unless the engine is very noisy and needs to be rebuilt.