Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  17 years Saturn Technician experience.
14928985

I have an A/C problem on my 2009 Saturn Aura. This is what I

Customer Question

Hello Pearl
JA: What is the model/year of your Saturn?
Customer: I have an A/C problem on my 2009 Saturn Aura. This is what I know. I can jump out the contacts on the compressor relay contacts and get the compressor clutch to engage and I get cold air. Also, I can apply 12v across the coil of the relay and it pulls in just fine. I have concluded that I am not getting a signal to the relay and that is where my knowledge stops. I do not have a schematic and therefor do not know what calls for A/C. Any help?
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: no. I have no problem with the drive train, just the A/C
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have an A/C problem on my 2009 Saturn Aura. This is what I know. I can jump out the contacts on the compressor relay contacts and get the compressor clutch to engage and I get cold air. Also, I can apply 12v across the coil of the relay and it pulls in just fine. I have concluded that I am not getting a signal to the relay and that is where my knowledge stops. I do not have a schematic and therefor do not know what calls for A/C. Any help?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you havent checked for any blown fuses at all this should be done first.If any fuses are found blown/shorted out the affected fuse should be replaced and then check the operation.If this has already been done and found o.k. let me know as well as let me know what liter engine is in your model here and if this has the manual ac control or the control with the Auto functions on it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2009 Saturn Aura XE 2.4 liter. My fuse is not blown as stated before, I can remove the A/C relay, jump the A/C clutch relay contact terminals and clutch pulls in and the A/C makes cold air. Also when I apply 12v to relay it works. The problem then exists getting 12v to the relay from the dash control. I have no schematic and do not know how to pop out the A/C dash panel to inspect.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Does your model have the manual ac and heater controls or the Auto controls with Auto settings on the control on the dash?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Manual controls
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

O.k.,your models power train relay energizes the coil side of the ac clutch relay with battery voltage and should occur at all times with the key on or engine running.This relay is located in the under hood fuse panel.Locate this relay and tap on it with the ac switched on and engine running and see if the ac compressor engages.If it does then this relay needs replaced.Check the IGN MOD,ETC,INJECTORS and EMISSIONS 1 fuses to make sure they are o.k..These are duses 2,6,43 and 44 in the under hood fuse panel as well.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete