Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

2009 Vue Sometimes when placed into drive the transmission

Customer Question

2009 Vue Sometimes when placed into drive the transmission will not change to higher gear as speed increases. If I stop, put it in park, turn off ignition and then restart the transmission will work properly. Also, there is a pause when putting the vehicle into drive or reverse before the gear actually engages. Is this a TCM problem or a transmission problem?
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: It is original 112,000 mi. Not sure what a brake switch is. The problem doesn't always happen but it is happening now with more frequency.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Would like to fix myself if possible. Have not tried anything.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nope - not seeing leaks or hearing any weird sounds.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you tonight
This is a TCM problem you need to have it scanned and retrieve any codes,
The fact that there is a delay to engage in gear is not good , if it does all the time,
if only does it when acts up when the fault happens and it goes away when you cycle the switch, then it will be TCM, or shift solenoids ,.Each time u cycling the ignition switch you are resisting the TCM module until it hit limp mode againDoing a fluid & filter change want hurt if u never done it at that mileage yetIf u can retrieve the fault codes for me I can be more accurate for youLet me know.Chad (aka-Jhook1398)