FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

I'm Robb. I have a 2004 4cyl AWD VUE. the car normally runs

Customer Question

I'm Robb. I have a 2004 4cyl AWD VUE. the car normally runs flawlessly but today after driving my cue aprox 10 mintes I stopped for an errand and upon restart the engine ran very rough, and wouldn't idel. Above idel the engine would run but seemed to develop almost no power. I got it to run enough to limp home but now I'm stumped. I've had the car aprox 3 years and ever since I've had it the check engine light will come on occasionally but goes back off on it's own and engine trouble light does the same. It's always ran fine so I haven't given it too much thought - although the fuel economy has never been very good. What do you recommend?
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 'bout 145,000
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I'd sure like to if possible
JA: Is there anything else the Saturn Mechanic should be aware of about your Saturn?
Customer: Well, pretty sure the CV joints are pretty worn and the trans seems to slip a bit when driving over speed bumps at a low speed but this is probably nit related to the current issue, right?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** to hear about your Vue. Most of the time when the check engine light comes on it is best to scan the computer for codes first. You can typically take the vehicle to most auto parts stores and they will scan it for free. If you can do this and bring me the codes it will help with the diagnosis. This can be as simple as needing a tune up to needing a fuel pump. Please let me know if I can assist you further if you can get me these codes. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
FIXITMAN, on my 2004 Saturn VUE AWD 4cyl auto trans, where is the OBD2 or diagnostic port located? Further info; I went out this morning and started my Saturn and the damn thing is running fine again. The two dash lights are still on but it started right up and seems to be running as advertised. No matter though, can't allow this to happen again so will continue with the diagnostic check and, with your help, whatever repairs are necessary. Thanx!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Bobby, finally was able to get the trouble code. Upon startup today the Saturn seemed to be running fine again so I changed driving it a little to check things out. When the engine achieved normal operating temp it was still running perfectly through entire range. I parked and stopped the engine then attempted a restart. Same problem as before. Wouldn't idle, above idle it would run but developed almost zero horsepower. When I did get the thing to run I could smell fuel fairly strong and that weird smell a catalytic converter can make. When the engine was running the check engine lamp would flash. The only code that was indicted is P0171. So, with a cold engine the thing runs as advertised, but, once up to temp it falls on it's face. That's all I can think to tell you. What is your recommendation?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 9 months ago.

With that code it tells me that it may have a fuel pressure problem. It may be a weak fuel pump. It can also be a number of other things, but that is the most common. I would recommend checking the fuel pressure to see if the pump is failing.