Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  17 years Saturn Technician experience.

Door wont open from the inside : opens from the outside not

Customer Question

door wont open from the inside
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Saturn. The Saturn Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: opens from the outside not the inside
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: not much. the lock looks gunked up
JA: Is there anything else the Saturn Mechanic should be aware of about your Saturn?
Customer: the electronics seem to be working but have to manually lock back doors
JA: Is it your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saturn
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
saturn vue 2005 doors wont unlock with fob. front door will only open from outside
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you inspected the inside handle for any issues at all and if so is it broken?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
nothing is visibly broken, inside or outwhen using the fob it appears to slightly move the lock but not always engage.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

With no doors unlocking with the fob this usually indicates an internal electrical fault in the BCM (body control module ecu) as this controls the locking and unlocking operation.The BCM is a very common component that fails requiring replacement for issues like this here.I suspect yours needs replaced and programmed.This has to be replaced with a new one as the BCM is programmed to the vehicle and cannot be reprogrammed to another model.A GM dealer will have to set the options in it and program it with their computer.I know in some cases this can run around $500 to have replaced and programmed.

As for the front door not opening from the inside this can be due to the door latch itself in the front door needing replaced or an issue with the inside door handle breaking where it pulls the rod or cable to open the door.I have seen both cause this issue with the affected component needing replaced.This would need checked further and usually requires removal of the door panel to inspect fully to locate and repair the fault with it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete