Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year as an ASE Tech
7276279

My car is going though coolant it doesn't over heat since I

Customer Question

My car is going though coolant it doesn't over heat since I put a new radiator cap on
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

If you run a cooling system pressure test will the system hold pressure and are you seeing any external leaks?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I haven't done that but there is no coolant on the ground ever
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
anything else u can suggest
Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.

I would start with performing a cooling system pressure test and see if the system will hold pressure. If you find it dose not and you net seeing any external leaks then the engine has to be burning the coolant. The next steps would be to perform a engine block test. This is a simple test to perform which will check the cooling system for any signs of Hydro-carbons (exhaust) in the cooling system . You can pick up a block test kit any any auto part store . You can have a seeping head gasket with out having an over heating issue as well. See the link below for running a block test. Check these things and post back with the results and we can work from there.

http://www.blockchek.com/instructions.htm