Ryan Schott
Ryan Schott,
Experience:  technician at Demarois Buick Gmc
77508644

My Outlook is acting crazy. I will be sitting at a light and

Customer Question

My Outlook is acting crazy. I will be sitting at a light and it will start saying traction control and then go into reduced power. My emgine light is on. Also, while im driving my service airbag lights come on sometimes
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Saturn Mechanic to figure that out. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: So when i turn the car off when it goes into reduced power then wait a minute i start it up again and it fine for a while. I think the auto store says its throwing a code for the throttle body and ecm. Do i really need to buy and replace both parts?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Saturn Mechanic should know about your Saturn?
Customer: Oh and my brother cleaned the throttle out a few weeks ago when he changed the air filter for me. It had some oil in it and was gunked up. Could this have caused this problem?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 6 months ago.

The throttle body can cause most of these codes, before you replace anything though start by cleaning your throttle body, unplug and plug in the electrical connector 4-5 times then put some dielectric grease in it, then disconnect your battery for 5 min, hook it all back up and test and see if it still does it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. Thank you. So, do you think if it does happen again I should change the ecm and the throttle body or should I try just a throttle body first?

I can almost guarantee it doesn't need an ecm, I would definitely do the throttle body first. That should fix all the issues except the airbag light, thats on a different system, if it comes off and on at random look when its on if your cell phone tablet or laptop is on the pass. seat electronic devices confuse the passenger presence system. let me how it goes

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will! Now that you say that it only happens when my teenage daughter is sitting there. Lol. Thank you so much for your advice! This car has given me so many problems since i bought it a year ago. Already had the transmission control module changed for $1700.

Yah those are spendy because they are internal. Keep me posted.