George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

New starter, New Battery, Passlock light comes on secs then

Customer Question

New starter, New Battery, Passlock light comes on for 5 secs then turns off when car is turned on.. 12V from Battery, 12V at starter. 2004 Saturn Ion 2. 2.2L. Manual TransmissionNo crank, no start
Category: Saturn
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Live in Northern California, low of 70 degrees every night so Cold Start not an issue
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 8 months ago.

Do you have a test light you can use

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for the response... I have a multimeter, but no test light

that will work. first lets test the small post at the starter and see if it gets power when you crank it. Also a quick check to do is look at your clutch switch under the driver dash and make sure it is moving.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the small post, do you mean the solenoid?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the starter is getting 12V from the battery, but I do not have anyone here to crank it while I test the starter. I checked the clutch switch and it is definitely engaging with the clutch. I even manually pushed the button on the switch to see if it would start, no luck

okay there is a bulletin on ignition switches for these but its an issue you would only identify with a scan tool.

xTooltipElement

Service Information

2004 Saturn ION | ION VIN A Service Manual | Document ID:(###) ###-####/p>

#04-08-45-005D: No Crank or No Start, DTC B2960 and/or B3033 Set (Replace Ignition Switch) - (Mar 15, 2006)

Subject:No Crank or No Start, DTC B2960 and/or B3033 Set (Replace Ignition Switch)

Models:2003-2006 Saturn ION

Built Up To and Including VIN Breakpoint 6Z147837

This bulletin is being revised to modify the Correction Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-08-45-005C (Section 08 – Body and Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment that their vehicle will not start. This comment is referred to as “no crank, no start with complete power.”

Additional customer comments may be as follows:

• A clicking noise may be noticed when the key is first turned to the START position, but no noise is heard after the initial start attempt.
  • The “Security” light may flash immediately after trying to start the car along with the message “Service Vehicle” in the Driver Information Center.
  • The vehicle may not start for at least 10 minutes after the first attempt to start the vehicle. Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) B2960 and or B3033 may be set in history in the BCM.

Cause

When the key is rotated from RUN to START there is a voltage signal sent to the BCM that goes through the PASSLOCK resistor in the ignition switch. This voltage signal may have an early ignition switch bounce (when going from RUN to START) that the BCM interprets as a failure in the PASSLOCK system and disables the starting circuit.

Correction

Using the chart below, verify that the ignition switch has been replaced at least once using P/N 10392423. After replacement of the ignition switch or replacement and reprogramming of the BCM, perform the 30-Minute Learn Procedure found in Programming Theft Deterrent System Components.

Step

Description

Yes

No

1

Install scan tool.

Are DTCs B2960 and/or B3033 present in BCM History?

Go to Step 2

Bulletin does not apply.

2

Check NVH (National Vehicle History) (in Canada, GMVIS).

Has ignition switch (P/N 10392423) been previously installed?

Replace the BCM. Refer to Body Control Module Replacement in SI or the appropriate ION Service Manual.

Replace the ignition switch. Refer to Ignition Switch Replacement in SI or the appropriate ION Service Manual.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

10392423

Ignition Switch Assembly

15797057

Body Control Module (2003)

15797058

Body Control Module (2004 & 2005)

10390022

Body Control Module (2006)

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

N4800

Computer [Control], Body – R&R or Replace

Use Published Labor Operation Time

N2320

Switch - Ignition – Replace

I would still wait till you have an assistant to crank it so we can check the circuit and follow it back before trying to get it scanned unless you have access to a scanner.

note the vin break point and compare it too yours also

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
alright I'll wait for my wife to get home and see the starter gets power when cranked and then I think a buddy has a scanner if it is showing 12V

alright keep me posted

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ran the scan and got no codes back... solenoid is not showing power either. I'm gonna try jumping the solenoid and see that'll start it.

Check the cruise and brake fuse and check for power at the clutch switch also. Did it start when jumped or start and die?