Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year as an ASE Tech
7276279

I have a 2003 Saturn ION Level 1 with the following

I have a 2003 Saturn ION Level 1 with the following transmission related codes P0700, P0966 , P0970 and P0962. When Drive or Reverse gear is selected, there is a 2-3 second delay followed by slight jerk and then the car moves. I have an advanced scanner Autel 908P, with J2534 capability that can give me live data.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The code P0966 indicates the TCC Pressure Control Solenoid Circuit is reading Low Voltage . In order to determine the cause you are going to need to do some testing. See the test steps in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/P0966%20Jun%204.pdf

The code P0970 is a Shift Pressure Control Solenoid Circuit Low Voltage code . See the test steps in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/P0970%20Jun%204.pdf

The code P0962 is a Line Pressure Control Solenoid Circuit Low Voltage code. See the test steps for it in this link

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/P0962%20Jun%204.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am at a total lost with all that information and I don't know what to look for exactly.I do remember my scan tool showing that my gear ratio were outside of specs when i did a live data test, and I am not even sure what that means .
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

There is no way to know what has failed with out running these test starting with the first code set. If you are not able to do this then you are going to need to seek out someone who can help you with these.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will the autel 908p scanner give me the information I need ?
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

It will give you the fault codes which you have already, the next steps is to run the pinpoint test I sent you for each of these codes to determine the cause.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the 908p is not a basic scanner. I can go into detail and see how the actual solenoid are behaving and I can also activate them form my scanner . would this feature help instead of doing it according to those charts you sent ?
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately with out following the proper test steps how are you going to know if your doing it right and seeing the correct results?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. I will have to print the sheets out and work on this when I can set aside time for this. Please be patient with me .
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Sure thing, Im here as long as you need me. Post back when your ready.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi i am going to try to get someone to help me do the pin point test , but i wanted to share with you how advanced my scanner is. I can go in depth to see what each solenoid is dong and I can take it for a drive and monitor the tranny, but I will not know what to look for on the scanner. In the pictures you will see that the shift 4-2 status shows inconclusive, while the other shifts are good. Also the gear ratio is out of spec, TCC PC SOL CKT STATUS shows open/short ,and the transmission is in protection mode. I am sending you this because I am just hoping that I am not looking at a tranny replacement and I am thankful I have a 5 speed and not the Variable speed tranny
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

You are still going to need to run the pinpoint testing to determine the cause. If in the steps it calls for looking at the data the scan toll will be helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
alright, it will take me some time to get a friend who is a mechanic to help me out with this type of diagnosis.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Thats a good idea . Im here if you need me. Post back if so and we can work from there.