Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.

2005 Saturn Ion it randomly turns off when going uphill or

Customer Question

2005 Saturn Ion it randomly turns off when going uphill or making a Fast turn the radio and lights don't turn off just engine
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Saturn. The Saturn Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: it only does it when I make turns and when I go up steep inclines
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if I can do it myself I will but if not I'll take it to a mechanic
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Saturn Mechanic should know about your Saturn?
Customer: no not at the moment just that I need to fix this problem soon as possible because its dangerous
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Clayso replied 4 months ago.

Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description sounds like the crankshaft position sensor's signal is being lost when turning and or going uphill. The Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) is located on the front side of the engine behind the starter. Check the harness to the CKP for and chaffing. You can also spray the harness with salty water and see if the engine will stall. Also check for any codes set in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Let me know if there are any codes set.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay well i hope your right. I to it in earlier today to change the part. Ill let u know how it goes
Expert:  Clayso replied 4 months ago.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well clayso sorry to say that you were wrong. I had that part changed and it wasent it. My car continued to do it last night. Only the battery light shows up on the dash when it happens
Expert:  Clayso replied 4 months ago.

Did you have the vehicle checked for codes? Also if you have a code reader, plug it in and see if it looses communication when the vehicle stalls.

Let me know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok so i took it somewhere else and they said codes came up for the throttle body. They cleaned it and it seems to be ok for bow but im not going to hold my breath
Expert:  Clayso replied 4 months ago.

If you'll let me know specifically what "P" codes were stored I can look farther into the issue and see what all I can find.

Let me know