Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  17 years Saturn Technician experience.

My 97 Saturn Sl2 will not start. When I turn the key lights

Customer Question

My 97 Saturn Sl2 will not start. When I turn the key lights AC and radio come on but no sound at all with the engine. A new starter was put into the car, nothing happened. The battery was charged..nothing. We jumped the car..nothing. There was no obvious warning either, I parked one day, got back in and it just stopped working. We just recently replaced the fuel pump fuse thinking it was that but again nothing has happened. What could be wrong?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This can be due to a fault with the starter relay itself at fault needing replaced.I have seen this relay fail in the past before causing issues like this here needing replaced.I would check the signals to it with a multi meter to see if they are all present to see if it needs replaced for sure.I have also seen issues with the electronic ignition switch itself failing needing replaced.If you have a multimeter or test light to test with I can try and walk you through some testing or just post the starting circuit diagrams here for you as well if you want to test on your own just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete