Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Saturn Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Saturn Diagnostics
18617752

Well Pearl : Yesterday while driving home my car started to

Customer Question

well hello there Pearl
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Saturn. The Saturn Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Yesterday while driving home my car started to jerk and my engine light came on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: it actually depends on what the problem is
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Saturn Mechanic should know about your Saturn?
Customer: my husband machine actually came up with two different error codes
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: p03031 and p0303pd
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

May I have the year, model and engine size of your Saturn?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2007 xe
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Great, thanks. And what model is this? Ion? Aura? Outlook?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Aura
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Ok. Great. And the engine size? 2.4L? 3.5L? 3.6L?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
3.5
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Ok, great!

From what you are describing, and along with the p-codes, it sounds like you have a cylinder misfire on cylinder #3. There are a few different things that can cause a single-cylinder misfire. This can be a worn spark plug, a faulty ignition coil, a faulty or clogged fuel injector, low cylinder compression, etc. More common here- plug or coil. So, best palce to start is by removing the spark plug and inspecting it for any signs or wear or cracks in the body. If there are any doubts, replace all the spark plugs. If the plugs look good, inspect the electrical connector and wire harness to the ignition coil for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If this checks ok, you can swap the coil with another and check the p-codes. If P0303 is now changed to a different cylinder, replace the coil. If these check ok, the injector and cylinder compression will need to be tested. Like I say though, more than likely a coil or plug as these are common fail items. Cylinder #3 is on the side of the engine closest to the windshield, and it's the middle cylinder. If my answer has helped you, please help me and rate using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and wanted to check in and see how you made out. Did you have any other questions on this issue?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

..