Amedee
Amedee, Saturn Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Car died and ma JA: Sometimes things that you think will

Customer Question

Car died and ma
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Saturn. The Saturn Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Car died and mechanic shop checked it out and said fuel pump was bad so towed it home and put a new pump in,now I have good fuel pressure under hood I try and start and it turns over but not firing like it's not getting spark or something please help
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: What do u think
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Saturn Mechanic should know about your Saturn?
Customer: Hello
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: Need to know why it's not starting
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Have you checked for spark when cranking? Are there any codes in the computer? What size engine do you have?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No codes, 3 liter
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
Ok and what about spark?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
What year is your Saturn?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I pulled coil pack plugged the spark plugs in turned it over and didn't see any spark
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
And what year is the vehicle?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2003 Saturn 300 l
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for that information. As long as the timing belt did not break or jump time, the most likley possible cause for a no spark condition on this vehicle is a bad crankshaft position sensor.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's not the timing belt and I changed the CPS but it didn't change anything
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
Ok, and all of the fuses on the vehicle are good?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well they look good but I was going to check them all with a continuity tester. Should I do that? Is there just the fuse panel under hood and small one on driver kick panel?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was told thee might be 2 CPS. The one I changed was located right next to the oil filter. Is that the correct location?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
No, there is just one crank sensor located on the back side of the engine. YES, there should be a fuse block under the hood and one inside the vehicle. If all of the fuses are good, I would suspect either a bad camshaft position sensor and or a bad PCM.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you think that I should check the continuity on all the fuses just to make sure?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do I check a fuse like the ignition. It's not see thru and has 4 prongs.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is this a fuse ? How do I check it
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
That's a relay. Usually relays don't go bad. But you can ohm it out with an ohmmeter. It should be about 70 or 80 ohms
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you walke through how to test pcm and cam shaft sensor.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
I would have to do this over the phone.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
I work all day today. I can speak over the phone tonight after I get off work. If you request a phone call offer now, another expert should pick it up and give you a call.