chevygeorge, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Technician for over 25 years

I need help repairing my 2007 Saturn Outlook XE. First I

Customer Question

I need help repairing my 2007 Saturn Outlook XE. First I need to know how my electric/ speaker wire connectors by the door hinges have water in them, because of this, only one speaker works. where does the water go through from. It doesn't have a moon roof. I have a code P0496 for which I have to replace the Purge Solenoid Valve I think. I also have a very annoying bipping sound that comes on and a message " stability track off" with a brake light that follow on the dashboard. Someone told me to change a Brake Pedal Position Sensor and that would be fixed, is that true?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  chevygeorge replied 5 months ago.
Hello my name is*****'m an experienced Saturn Tech and here to assist you. Let us start at the top of the issues and work my way down. The inside of the doors are open to the elements and have drain holes in the bottoms. Water sheds off the windows and some may pass by the weatherstrip. The door panel and speaker are isolated from the elements by a plastic membrane glued to the door between the two. If your speakers are being exposed to water, it's possible your plastic membrane is missing or damaged. It's also possible the accordion boot that protects the wires near the hinges is damaged allowing moisture to wick inside.
P0496 indicates a problem with the EVAP system. Without a scan tool to pressurize the system and read the data, if will be difficult to pinpoint. It could be the EVAP canister purge solenoid valve or the fuel tank pressure sensor.
As far as the Service stability light, it will set a code C0561 anytime the Service Engine soon light is on and a fault is detected that will affect it's performance, but rarely with the warning chime. Ideally, the EBCM needs to be checked for codes. In my experience with these body styles, the chime is usually caused by a low brake fluid condition. Check the fluid level in the master cylinder. If low, the master cylinders on these vehicles are common to leak at the rear, into the brake booster, where no external leak is found. Depending on the model, there should be a sensor located at the 6 o'clock position on the booster(If no sensor at 6 o'clock, there is one at 11 o'clock and a long zip tie can be used as a dipstick). If removed, with engine off, there is any fluid coming out, the booster and master cylinder will need to be replaced. BPP sensor failures are rare on these.Please take the time to give me a positive rating, and let me know if you have any further questions. George
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks George, about the water issue, I understand what you are saying can be a problem of one door or speaker affected, I just don't think that 2 other doors would have the same problem..About the stability track off message, I don't have a code C0561...only P0496. I will check tomorrow about the fluid level and will let you know. I appreciate you taking time to answer. Ciao
Just so I understand completely. You're getting moisture where the factory speaker connects inside the door?
A little more about the moisture issue at the speakers. These factory speakers are pretty cheap, and known to fail, so I wouldn't over look the fact that it may just be their time. The OEM speakers are exposed to moisture in the door cavity, but usually have a shield built into their mounting. Are the speakers OEM?Are you getting terminal corrosion? A little dielectric grease in the connectors should prevent any moisture related problems.Please take the time to give me a positive rating, or let me know how I can service you better to gain a positive rating. George
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No It's not moisture, it's water coming out when you remove the big connector that connect the electric and speaker wires to the door. Yes the speakers are OEM and one of them (the driver side one) sometimes comes on and off. So I know they work, I just need to shut all places where the water go through first. When I'm going to feel like I got help to fix this car then trust me I'll give you a positive review.
I tried to pull up the door harness routing for the door without much luck. Is this an actual connector, or the accordion style boot that carries the wires to the body of the vehicle? It could be possible the water intrusion could be originating from the passenger compartment, but I feel you would be getting symptoms like a wet carpet or musty smell. Has the windshield been replaced previously? Body repair in front fender or A pillar location? Water leak diagnosis is a simple as a light trickle from a garden hose and careful inspection. If you like I can opt out and allow other experts to chime in on your symptoms.