sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

2003 saturn vue, AC blows hot air. Clutch on compressor comes

Customer Question

2003 saturn vue, AC blows hot air. Clutch on compressor comes on when ac is on. Still blows hot
JA: Many things can cause trouble with the A/C. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Put gauges on AC system low side reads hih ang high side reads low
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, got the proper equipment to do so. Just trying to get an idea.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I pulled a vacuum on the system and recharge. No change. Was thinking it coud be compressor or expansion valve. Seems as if the freon is not being pulled in the system.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Saturn Mechanic should know about your Saturn?
Customer: That about it . Hot in Texas already.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!It's definitely possible that you could have a bad compressor or expansion valve but without knowing the actual and commanded pressures it's hard to say if there is truly a pressure issue. The compressor is variable displacement, a solenoid controlling flow through the compressor to alter high side pressure.What was the high and low side pressure you saw and what was the ambient temperature?Did you compare high side pressure to commanded pressure shown on a scan tool?