George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

My sl2 broke down this morning. yesterday on the way home

Customer Question

Hi! My sl2 broke down this morning. yesterday on the way home from work it briefly stuttered and at one point the engine cut out for about 1/2 second or so. MIL light came on briefly and went out again. This morning after driving for about 1/2 hour engine just died. MIL on again while coasting to a stop. Tried to restart several times. Just cranks but doesn't fire. After about 10 minutes it started and ran fine. No MIL. After about 1/2 mile it died again. There is only a code P0133 O2 sensor circuit slow response. Any ideas? Fuel pump?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Saturn. The Saturn Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet. It just happened.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Saturn Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 7 months ago.
will the car not start right now?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It does start and drive. The stuttering and cutting out yesterday happened after about 1/2 hour of driving. Same this morning. It broke down after about 1/2 hour of driving.
can you let it idle until it does? if you can there are a few easy checks. Once its sputtering and about to stall unplug your MAF sensor and see if it runs better, if it doesn't then let it stall and grab something to pound on the middle of the fuel tank by reaching underneath, give it ten or twelve good hard taps and see if it will fire back up then let me know.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I can't do it right now because I'm still at work. Which one is the MAF sensor?
what year is your saturn
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2002 sl2
oh sorry then, no MAF on yours it uses intake pressure and idle air control so don't worry about that test. lets tap on that tank when it stalls and see if its a pump failing, let me know if it will start that way or not. If not we will probably be going after the ignition module as they are very susceptible to temperature and frequently cause a stall when warm. But lets try the tank trick first and go from there.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok sounds good. I will give that a try and report back. Thanks for now.
no problem