Chris (aka- Moose), Saturn Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Saturn Vue: , I have a 2003 Saturn Vue AWD V6....It will

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2003 Saturn Vue AWD V6....It will not idle very well seems like it is in retard on timing, I removed the timing covers and it is in time according to the timing marks. if it sits for awhile it will start right for about 4 seconds and shut off, you have to grind the starter for a few before it tries to start again, then it seems like it is in retard in timing. any ideas
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Any warning lights on and codes stored?Above idle is the acceleration and power good?What is the idle speed max and min idling at operating temp in park?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1. check engine light codes
2. after the first start and it shuts off, its very hard to crank...after a few mins of trying it will start, but very erratic, it will not or very hard to keep it running at a steady speed. will idle at 400rpms then cut off.... temp dont know i dont let it run long this way
Idle speed should be 750-800, so at 400 that is why its stalling, the idle is to low from a throttle body or idle control issue. However an engine not running well can cause low idle. Your flashing CEL means the computer is detecting misfires. So start with either a tune up or a scan tool that can run a power balance test to see which cylinder is misfiring. If a compression test is ran that can rule out any timing or internal engine concerns to blame. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i will pull the intake and check the compression, plugs and hoses...i will message you tommarrow
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have been at work, I have not had time to follow up. I will soon