Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year as an ASE Tech
7276279

Saturn LW2: I found a 2001 LW200 V6 for $700. The

Customer Question

I found a 2001 LW200 V6 for sale for $700. The body and interior are in great shape. The owner has not driven the car in 10 months because it would not start up anymore. So she has just been driving her other car. She has never taken it to a mechanic. I would like to have it towed to a mechanic but I'm not sure what to ask them beside just seeing what is wrong with the car. Are there any common issues with the V6 I should ask about in particular? Should I get the gas, oil, other fluids replaced before trying to start it up? Thanks for the advice.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question,If you not going to buy it first then you should not change any fluids, start with making sure it has fuel and the oil and coolant are at a proper level and then have them check it. In order to determine why is will not start they are going to need to check a few things, start first with checking fuel pressure as fuel pump failure is common on this Saturn, if the fuel pump checks okay then they will want to check to see if there is good spark to the spark plugs and injector pulse. If all these check okay the the next step would be to have a compression test done to make sure the engine is sound . I would have this done before you make the purchase to be sure its worth the money.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the advice. Like you said. I plan to have a mechanic determine the problem before I make the purchase.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 7 months ago.
It should not involve more then a couple of hours in labor to determine why it will not start. Hopefully its just a bad fuel pump. Testing will determine if in fact that is the case.