Chris (aka- Moose), Saturn Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

My name is ***** *****. I am currently trying to put

Customer Question

Hello. My name is ***** *****. I am currently trying to put together a 2001 saturn ls. It bent valves when the timing belt broke. Heads were sent off to machine shop. But I didn't mark the cam sprockets. The slot in the sprocket is elongated and the sprocket seems to fit in both positions. I understand I have to set crank at 60 degrees before tdc to keep from bending valves but I am not sure which slot to use. Thank you.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am not sure how to attach sprockets to cams. Each sprocket will fit cam in 2 positions. I can provide a picture tomorrow morning.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Saturn Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. I do not show a 01 Saturn LS model.Can I get the vin#?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will be at work in about an hour. I will get the vin sorry. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1g8jw52r9yy632272. Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The dowel pin. Or guide. Not sure on the proper name. Fits in both ways. My cam marks are way off either way I place em. The timing belt was broken when I purchased the car. So I couldn't lock cams in place. The Springs in the valves make it seem real hard to turn the cams. Forgive my ignorance.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The guide in the cam fits in the sprocket both ways. I did not mark when tearing apart. Thanks.
Its a 2000 LS2.You would need to align the cams based on the firing order. That is 123456 1 is closest to the belt on the firewall side, and 2 is closest to the belt on the radiator side. At TDC compression #1 should be pressing no valves with the cam lobes and #2 should be about to open the exhaust valve. Once that is set you would install the cam gears to where the marks are closest to lined up. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I got ahead of myself. I need to remove the valve covers. I'll do that tomorrow morning. I was so set on sealing the engine so nothing would fall in. I will get back to you in the morning. It is my personal car and I only have time to work on it on breaks and lunches. Thanks for your patience.
Your welcome
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I could not make time yesterday to work on the car. Thanks again. I will start later.
Thanks for the update
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris