Tim Mohr, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Saturn ion anti theft no start JA: Thanks. Can

Customer Question

***** ***** saturn ion anti theft no start
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: replaced ignition switch , did relearn , lock out symbol still appears, no start 2093 ion 3
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Saturn Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Saturn
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Still there?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hello, can you let me know your still there n i didnt pay $26 for nothin
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** is usually caused by a bad key module in the column, do you have tilt wheel on this?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
can you tilt the wheel all the way up, and see if the antitheft light goes off and it will start?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
does not go off, does not start, lock cylinder was reolaced at dealer @yr ago, recall, electrical switch i replaced today
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
its not the lock cylinder that goes bad, its the key module thats bolted to the cylinder, you may have lost programming for the key, can you try this? sit in the drivers seat and close the door, then try to start it, and let the key come back to the run position, leave in the run position, then watch the security light, after about 10 minutes, the light will go out, when it does, turn it off and try to start it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Bcm clicking, possibly from now low battery due to attempt relearn twice
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Have tried relearn , turn to start then let sit in run 10 min, reoeat 3 times then try to start, no luck, lock out still on
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
does the light go out, after 10 minutes?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes it does
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
then you have a bad key sensor module, if the light goes out, the computer is programmed, bu if the key sensor does not send the correct signal, it will not start, you will need to replace the sensor,Tim
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i was under impression antitheft worked off a resistence reading (of @ 5 ohms) and would trigger if new resistence or diff was read, that relearn would correct to new resistence reading, anywhere near correct?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
yes, when the properly program key is inserted, the sensor send a 5ohm resistance to the computer, if it is not seeing the 5ohm resistance it wont start, it either a bad sensor, or the computer is bad, the sensors are very common for repairs on these.Tim
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
could you send a pic or diagram of key sensor module, local gm dealer lists nothing under that name
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
what year is this??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2003,...also i just read there are 3 systems, mine appearently is passkey 3, the relearn procedue says to turn key to run,( but not start) n wait 10 min for lite stop, i was turning allway to start each time then leaving in run for 10 min, would that cause failure in relearn
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
It can, can you try it without going to start first?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
my battery is too low, il have to find somplace to charge it, car is in parking garage 20mi from home, my have to come back tmr, can you send pic /diagram or key sensor mod, or are you speaking of bcm?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
its inside the keylock cylinder housing, its called the passlock sensor, the dealr does not sell it seprately, you have to buy the keylock housing,Tim
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the hall effect sensor? can i use one off a junkyard car?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
is it the small 2x1 in box screwed onto the side of thr bracket
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
just to be sure, this?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hi again, if your still recieving these msgs, can you tell me if the pic i sent in previous message is a passlock sensor,
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
never did find out what a passlock senosor looked like however since the entire passlock system seems to be within the key lock cylinder, the lock houseing and a module in the bcm, i replaced the key cylinder n housring and bcm from an 05 ion with same trim as my 03, alls well ,started up after 30 min relearn, except the 05 didnt have fog lights and il have to get the air bag serial numbre programed,