Matt C.
Matt C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Automotive Technician
64275627

I have replaced the clutch, pressure plate, bearing and

Customer Question

i have replaced the clutch, pressure plate, bearing and slave and the gears still have to be jammed in
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: 1994
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: great
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Saturn Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Matt C. replied 11 months ago.
Hello, I would like to see if I can assist you in figuring this out. Were all of those parts replaced in an effort to fix the shifting issue? Also, do you ever have a problem with it popping out of gear?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i replaced them cause the clutch was slipping then i replaced the slave and master assembly because a mechanic suggested it wasnt disengaging enough to slide the gears in...it shifts through while not running but is really tough when running
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no it does not pop out
Expert:  Matt C. replied 11 months ago.
How many miles do you have on that transmission?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
133000
Expert:  Matt C. replied 11 months ago.
Sorry, I am unavailable for live calls at the moment, if you would like I could opt out and give another expert an opportunity to call. Is that something you would like me to do?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
chatting is fine as long as i dont get charged for the phone call request
Expert:  Matt C. replied 11 months ago.
OK, I declined the request so you should not occur any charge for it. Are you have this issue in all gears?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  Matt C. replied 11 months ago.
My last question, did you have this problem before the clutch kit was installed?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the hard shifting no it shifted like a new....just like it does when it isn't runing now
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i put Parts Master Dex/Merc in it when i was done
is that ok
Expert:  Matt C. replied 11 months ago.
Honestly, I have never used it because I have heard bad things about it.I would say your first step would to be trying to change the fluid out to a higher quality and see if the shift improves.If it doesn't improve, you may have an issue with the clutch alignment or the "fingers" on the pressure plate may have bent from not being torqued down evenly.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is there any clutch adjustment... what fluid do u suggest
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
as the cluctch wears it will become easier to shift theoretically because a thinner clutch doesnt need to spread as far...right?
Expert:  Matt C. replied 11 months ago.
I typically get fluid from dealer, I believe your vehicle calls for DEXRON. Also there is no adjustment for your clutch (it is all hydraulic). Theoretically yes and no. I say that because it is hydraulic. Think of it like a brake caliper, brakes wear down on your front calipers and you don't typically have to apply your brakes harder for it to operate properly.
Expert:  Matt C. replied 11 months ago.
If you are having an issue with shifting in all gears while the car is running it sounds like the clutch is staying applied. That can happen from a misalignment or a bad installation of the pressure plate. If you were to keep driving like that it would cause a premature failure of the clutch friction material and possibly damage the syncromesh gears.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok thanks so u talk about the "fingers" u mean the little fins on the innner circle of the pressure plate? if so whats the fix for that
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
so i need to take it apart and realign it and put it back together
Expert:  Matt C. replied 11 months ago.
Yes, you would have to unbolt the pressure plate and check for any that are raised higher or dropped lower than the others, if any of them are you will need another pressure plate. When installing you need to follow a star pattern and only go in about one turn on the bolt at a time while going around until they are all tight.
Expert:  Matt C. replied 11 months ago.
If you tighten one completely without the others it will bring the plate in at an angle and cause the fingers to bend.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
so by having a "tilted" pressure plate the clutch would probably only disengage on part of it and stay on the other..
Expert:  Matt C. replied 11 months ago.
Correct.
Expert:  Matt C. replied 11 months ago.
If you found my answer helpful and were pleased with my service please don't forget to rate me.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Alright thanks
Expert:  Matt C. replied 11 months ago.
Hello, I had just wanted to follow up with you to see if you have gotten this taken care of. Also, please don't forget to rate me if you found me to be helpful.