Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Saturn Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Saturn Diagnostics
18617752

Saturn L Series: Engine light on codes read camshaft position

Customer Question

Engine light on codes read camshaft position sensor A Circuit range / performance B1.......Also Secondary Air Injection System.....
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.
May I have the actual "p-codes" associated with these descriptions?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
P0341
P0410
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.
Great thanks!Ok. Let's start with the easy one... The P0341 points to a Camshaft Sensor problem. On this vehicle, there is no "Camshaft Position Sensor". The job of the camshaft sensor is done by the Ignition Control Module. The Ignition Control module uses capacitive pickup plates located under the 1/4 coil pack to determine the polarity sequence and voltage amplitude of the cylinder 1/4 secondary ignition. The PCM supplies 5 volts on the signal line and expects to see the cylinder #4 signal wire go low after every 14 crankshaft pulses (2 revolutions). This is used to determine the position of the camshaft, except under decel. So- carefully inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, replacing the ICM solves this code. The ICM is located under the Coil Packs.The P0410 is a bit tougher as there are a few different items that can set this code. There is a diagnostic flow chart that can be done to help pinpoint the root of the problem. Download the flow chart here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7sbzxa7iitprks5/sat-410.jpg?dl=0If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept so I may be credited. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You never gave me advice on the second code P0410 just a flow chart!
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.
Like I said above, there are a few different things that can set this code. You will need to do some testing usign the flow chart to pinpoint the root of the problem. There is no 1-answer, "it's this..." for the P0410. Testing must be done. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work.Please rate or accept so I may be credited.You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.