George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years

Saturn SL11998: I have a 1998 saturn SL1 that I just replaced

Customer Question

I have a 1998 saturn SL1 that I just replaced the trans with a salvage yard trans . I have delayed engagement for reverse and I have high fear only for forward gears . Does this car need to have a relearn procedure performed that might correct the problem I have ?0
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Roy replied 6 months ago.
good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist no, there is no re learn procedure for this trans. the issue with reverse is mechanical, not electrical. have you changed the oil/filter for the trans??? replacing with a used unit is always risky that you may get a bad one. if the oil.filter are changed and you still have issues then you most likely have a bad unit and will have to come back out again Roy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I know it's a risky thing buying from a salvage yard . The fluid looked good when the trans was delivered and I did replace the filter and the main issue is the tranny only having high gear , reverse was the minor problem of the two
Expert:  Roy replied 6 months ago.
ok, is the check engine light on at all??? are there any codes??? Roy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The light is on but my scan tool will only do Ford, Chevy , and Chrysler .
Expert:  Roy replied 6 months ago.
ok, go to a parts store as they will pul the code for free for you. Roy