john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech 15 + years foreign domestic & european
6149662

I have a 2002 Saturn Vue, 3.0L. I had 4 codes not clear when

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Saturn Vue, 3.0L. I had 4 codes not clear when I took into to get it smog. After driving in various conditions, the OBDII monitor indicates that everything is ready (all 4 codes clear), but when it's hooked up to the computer at the smog check place, initially it says clear, then goes back to "inc". I have not Service Engine Soon light on, nor any trouble codes. It passes the tailpipe emissions. The car had been rarely driven the preceding year. Why do the codes clear and then come back? I had several varying drive cycles. Now, I only have EVAC on showing not ready.
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: Never been changed. 2002, so 14 years.
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: Very well. No problems.
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Saturn Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No, main problem is not being able to keep the IM readiness codes to stay clear.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.
HI, I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question Ok, have you done the GM drive cycle EXACTLY as stated in the order stated, 2 days in a row? Also, and this is critical for the EVAP monitor, the fuel tank must be between 1/4 and 3/4 tank during the drive cycle, otherwise the EVAP monitor will not set to ready
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes, I have. All codes again have cleared. My thought is that maybe I need a new battery, replace computer, or some sensors. Additionally, there may be underlying conditions which, though the codes have shown as cleared, there is something that is not showing up in the simple OBDII Bluetooth application. For some reason, when it's hooked up to the smog tester, it somehow resets the four codes again.
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.
HI,A weak battery can cause this, as well as a marginal catalytic converter, but that usually will set a P0420 code. What is the battery voltage at idle when engine is first started
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't know. I was trying to find that on the app.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do have another gadget which provides voltage. I'll check it out.
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.
HI,Ok, let me know what it is when you get the reading
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just checked the battery. 12.55 with the car off. 14.5 when charging.
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.
HI,Ok, battery and charging system are good. Outside of a marginal converter, I am not sure what else is preventing the monitors from setting to ready. I will opt out and see if another expert may know
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I went to the dealer and they said it was a broken thermostat. They're replacing it and doing the drive cycle.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2 codes still not clearing.
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 7 months ago.
2 codes or 2 readiness monitors?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I believe it's 2 readiness monitors, though I don't know which ones. The car is still at the dealer. They replaced the thermostat and did a drive cycle. Cleared two of the four (I believe the original four were oxygen sensor, oxygen heater sensor, catalyst, and EVAP).
likely readiness monitors...they can be stubborn can you find out which ones? sometimes ou need to do multiple drive cycles step by step
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I won't know until tomorrow. The technician has been doing the drive cycle.
let me know