George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

2007 Vue V6 I'm trying to find a relay that provides power

Customer Question

2007 Vue V6 I'm trying to find a relay that provides power to the BCM
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: We're having serious cold weather problems on initial start. All lights come on until engine starts then all dash lights, headlights etc are off, radio off, pwr steering off. after 5-7 minutes with engine running all light and radio start to blink. Blinking can continue for several minutes until everything operates perfectly. New ECM, New Altenator, BCM tested and it's reported as fine. Over $1000 spent and the problem persists. Cold weather related ONLY. Car runs fine all day once it's started in the morning and runs perfectly all summer. I'm thinking perhaps a relay that works once engine heat trips it??
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, if it's simple
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Are you a BOT
JA: No. I'm the Saturn Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: read my note. New ECM. new altenator, BCM tested.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Saturn Mechanic should know about your Saturn?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Was the PCM and BCM checked for codes?

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Do the headlights and parking lights blink when this happens? What about the instrument panel or cluster lights? Do they blink along with the radio lights?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
headlights, dashlights, radio, all blink after 5-7 minutes, depending on how cold it is. Then the blinking continues for another 3-5 minutes. Radio will come on first then the lights will stop blinking. I had the BCM tested by professionals both hot and cold, they found no problems. When you say PCM do you mean ECM or is there and an additional control module?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Sorry.. yes, the ECM. Was the ECM and BCM both checked for codes?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well new ECM was installed and BCM was tested. I have no clue as to codes checking. BTW Check engine light never came on during this time.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

You might want to have these modules checked for codes. I would be willing to bet there are codes in one or both of these modules related to this problem. Also, what is the battery voltage at when this happens?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Battery voltage was tested and initially it was way high so new alternator installed with new ECM . Voltage was checked after those two items were replaced and it was fine. That is it was at or about 14V I believe.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

So the battery voltage is at 14 volts WHEN this problem occurs?

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Are you sure about that?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The ECM and Altenator were installed by Electrical Auto experts, it's all they do. They had the car for 2 months last winter so I'm assuming checks were domne under all conditions. They could not find the problem.This is our 2nd winter with this issue. Shortly as weather improves it was go away until next Nov or so. This issue seems to be clearly a cold temp problem, and not a voltage problem unless you think the weather affect voltage. The timing of the blinking issue is definitely impacted by whether or not the hood is up. If it's up the problem goes on much longer, down it's shorter. Engine warm up seems to have an impact.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Right.. I agree. This is because tempature is a HUGE factor in resistance which will affect the electrical components. I see this kind of stuff all of the time in the automotive field.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We agree. So I'm looking for that possible component that might be heat sensitive. perhaps a relay or fuse that affects how the BCM works. Clearly all these issues are controlled by the BCM but the BCM tests OK. And the issue seems to live under the hood where the cold affects it most. So my original question was is there a relay on the engine fuse panel that might be defective?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

The answer is YES. Any one of them.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
All relays talk to the BCM?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

YES, BCM or ECM.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are those relays plugable? Can I replace them?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

YES, they all can be replaced.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Does that answer your question?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what you're telling me is that every relay on that fuse board is suspect. That all of them connect to the BCM. Is that correct?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

All of the relays are computer controlled in one way or another. YES, all of them can be an issue and be affected by tempature.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Could there be a possible ground problem somewhere? Could this problem be something besides the relays?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

YES and YES

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
basically I'm right where I started. Guessing?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Right. Thats because your asking the wrong questions.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well I'm paying you to give me the right answers. What questions do I need to ask.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Sorry for the delay! Please do me a favor. Check the battery voltage WHEN this happens and let me know. This is what needs to be done next. Thank you.